Why vehicle electrification is paramount
The world’s largest CO2 emitters are: Transport World 24%, USA 27% and Electricity sector World 42%, USA 25%.
The 2 biggest contributors in USA to CO2 emission are the Transport sector (27%) and the Electricity sector (25%) a total of 52%.
US CO2 Emissions:
The US CO2 emission per sector is dominated by the Transportation, Electricity and the Industry sector. If the Transportation sector was electrified (E-Mobility) and all energy was produced by renewable energy sources we could cut the US CO2 emission by 52%.
US Transport Sector:
The Transportation sector CO2 emission is dominated by the Light-Duty vehicle sector (57%) and the Medium-to-Heavy Duty vehicle sector (26%). Together these two sectors contributes 83% of the Transportation sector’s CO2 emission.
Transportation And Renewables Meet The Smart Grid To Reduce Carbon Emission
To dramatically reduce the world’s CO2 footprint fast, we are about to experience industry transformations in the energy and transportation sector that will rival the Internet revolution.
These transformations are driven by powerful technology forces, but mainly by the potential risk of dramatic irreversible climate change. There is an urgent and recognized need to reduce the world’s carbon emission, using market mechanisms to spur competition and create an incentives for new profitable business opportunities.
However, this can only be done by electrifying the transport sector (e-mobility) and “fuel” it with renewable energy since it contributes largely to the carbon emission in most countries. It is not uncommon in countries that the transportation CO2 emission constitutes between 25% to 40% of total CO2 emission.
The car manufacturers are now gearing up in large scale to migrate from internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles to electric vehicles (EV) and it is anticipated that the cost parity between ICEs and EVs will be reached in 2025 (Morgan Stanley) or even before (Nissan).
These millions of EVs must be integrated intelligently into the electric grid (VGI – Vehicle-Grid-Integration) with smart-grid software technology to limit costly upgrades to the electric grid. Further contributing to the transformation is the rapid deployment of renewable energy resources that must also be integrated.
In this challenging eco-system we need to move to the next dimension to simplify and focus on the key elements that are driving the transformation to really understand the challenges and opportunities.
The International Energy Agency (IEA) is forecasting that the EV market will explode from around 4 million EVs 2019 to between 120 million (conservative estimate) and 220 million (aggressive estimate) by 2030.